Skip to main content

Declaring a Major or Minor

Students seeking to declare a major or minor in sociology should email  Students will be asked to complete two forms.

Within a few days following completion of the forms, the student will be provided with the name, e-mail, phone number, and office location of his/her advisor. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the advisor in order to set up an orientation meeting. This meeting allows the student to gain information on a variety of topics ranging from the major/minor requirements, to the honors program in sociology, the sociology Honors Society Alpha Kappa Delta, internships in sociology, and career opportunities.

For a student to be formally admitted into the major/minor program, the student must complete a Declaration form, get the advisor’s signature, and submit the form to the Registrar’s office of the College at which the student is enrolled. If the student is in Arts & Science, they will email the form to, or deliver the paper form to 350 Buttrick.