January 31, 2012

New Scholarship Announced for Undergraduate Math Majors

A new scholarship for undergraduate students majoring in mathematics has been endowed by former math major Elizabeth Brueggeman and her husband Mark.

The $250,000 gift agreement to fund the Mark and Elizabeth Barrow Brueggeman Scholarship was made in honor of Elizabeth?s upcoming reunion in October 2012. She received her BA in Mathematics in 1981 but celebrates her reunion with the Class of ?82 because that is the class with which she started and feels most connected.

“Mark and I have three sons in college right now so we are acutely aware of the costs of a college education today,” Brueggeman says. “We have been blessed with a successful business and felt funding a scholarship at Vanderbilt was a wonderful way to celebrate my 30th reunion this year. I have fond memories of the math department at Vanderbilt and we hope that this scholarship will give a deserving math student the opportunity for success that Vanderbilt afforded me.”

The Mark and Elizabeth Barrow Brueggeman Scholarship will be awarded to undergraduate mathematics majors selected by the Vanderbilt Financial Aid Office.