Amy-Jill Levine on “The Bible for Normal People Podcast”
In this episode of The Bible for Normal People Podcast, Pete and Jared talk with Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Brettler about some of the themes of their new book, The Bible With and Without Jesus as they explore the following questions:
- How does the Bible function differently for Jews and Christians?
- What is fundamental in the Jewish reading of the Bible?
- How do we know how people interpreted the Bible in ancient times?
- How does scripture communicate to us?
- What are some of the problems language causes in interpreting the Bible?
- How does punctuation affect interpretation of biblical Hebrew?
- Why is recognizing how we want scripture to function for us important to be aware of?
- Would the Bible have survived all this time if its meaning was crystal clear?
- What is a revelatory interpretation?
- How does a writing’s meaning change when interpreted prophetically?
- Does Jesus or John the Baptist appear in the Dead Sea Scrolls?
- What is a pesher and how does it work?
Listen to the podcast episode (or read the transcript) here.