Calling all Juniors! Applications for the AY 2021-2022 Honors Program are due on April 15, 2021. To apply, send your proposed project description to Department Chair Katie Crawford. Questions? Email Associate Department Chair Elizabeth Covington.
Honors Program Eligibility and Requirements
The Honors Program in Gender and Sexuality Studies requires 36 hours of course work and is designed to afford exceptional students the opportunity to undertake independent research on a topic in feminist and gender scholarship. This is done in consultation with faculty members.
The program is open to all GSS majors with junior standing who have completed at least 21 credit hours of the major and who have earned a 3.0 cumulative grade point average and a 3.3 grade point average in Gender and Sexuality Studies courses. Students must be approved for acceptance into the Honors Program by the program director and must:
- Complete 36 hours of course work.
- Complete the required courses for the major.
- Submit for approval a short description (no more than 500 words) of the proposed project to the Chair of the Department of Gender and Sexuality Studies by the spring semester of the junior year.
- Complete 6 hours of independent research, WGS 4998 and 4999 (Honors Research and Project), typically during the senior year.
- Undertake an Honors Project to be completed in the spring of the senior year.
- Pass an oral examination on the topic of the Project.