Explore our Makerspaces
The Wond’ry features two Makerspaces outfitted with state-of-art equipment to take your idea from concept to prototype. The Makerspaces are open to all of the Vanderbilt community and will serve as a hub for collaborative design and interdisciplinary activity. The mission of these spaces and the Wond’ry Makerspace staff is to provide students, faculty and staff with the tools, training, and resources to pursue their passions and actualize ideas.
To support this mission the Wond’ry offers the following:
- Shared fabrication tools and equipment for rapid prototyping (e.g. 3D printers), fiber arts (e.g. sewing machine and materials), mold making and casting, as well as circuitry, robotics, and much more
- Weekly/Monthly training workshops for beginners to become efficient and safe users
- Short classes offered by makers in the community that focus on skill building through hands-on projects
- Mentors on hand to assist you with your projects
- Free use of the space as well as a mix of free and subsidized materials to enable patrons to ‘make’
- Events with the goal of bringing fabrication communities across the university together to share ideas and innovate together
Wond'ry room 201 features rapid prototyping, woodworking, fiber arts, mold making and casting materials and more.
Wond'ry room 212 features circuitry, electronic, and robotic materials.
How to Get Involved – Safety Seminars @ the Wond’ry
The makerspaces at the Wond’ry are open to all of the Vanderbilt community (students, staff and faculty). Makerspaces are open at the following hours:
Monday-Thursday : 12:00 Noon – 9:00 PM
Friday : 12:00 Noon – 5:00 PM
SUMMER HOURS (MAY-AUGUST):
Monday : 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Tuesday : 12:00 Noon – 1:30 PM
Wednesday-Thursday : 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
For your safety and the safety of those around you, all Wond’ry makerspace users must complete a safety seminar (approximately 1 hour) to gain access to the makerspace resources and equipment (this includes 3D printing).
Safety seminars are held Monday-Thursday, 7-8pm*, on the second floor of the Wond’ry. No reservation is required.
*DURING SUMMER HOURS, safety seminars held by appointment only. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time.
The purpose of this safety seminar is to give new comers a lay of the land including:
- Meeting the Maker Mentors: the student mentors that help run the makerspaces
- Organization: learning how the makerspace runs and our approach to helping you ‘make’
- Expectations: learn makerspace rules and member conduct
- Basic Safety: tour the facilities and participate in tool and equipment safety training
After attending the safety seminar, you will be able to use the makerspaces and basic hand tools for your projects. Additional trainings to gain access to the other machinery (such as the vacuum former, molding and casting bench, and sewing machine) will be available through separate trainings offered by the Maker Mentors. We have some exciting workshops planned for this semester! Watch our website, social media, or calendar of events for these announcements.
If you have any questions please email the Director of Making, Dr. Kevin Galloway.
Tour our Makerspaces