Spring SAVY 2019, Day 6 – Using Algebra to Make and Break Records (3rd/4th)

Posted by on Wednesday, March 6, 2019 in Grade 3, Grade 4, SAVY.

Have you ever seen a man walk on water?  Our final world record involved Mr. Bricka who walked 3,600 miles across the Atlantic Ocean in 60 days.  Students were able to find trends in the data and complete a chart that identified how many miles were traveled over five day increments.  We then took another world record that involved Mr. Strel who swam 3,600 miles across the Atlantic Ocean in 60 days. The students were able to compare and contrast the data from both records and identify the rate of change in each chart. Our culminating activity included the students working in groups to take both records and display the data in a double line graph.

I was extremely pleased to have various students volunteer to present at Open House.  The students were able to give an overview of the course by describing the progress that was made from the first Saturday session to the last. Students were able to use mathematical language to explain things they learned such as analyzing information in a graph that had no numbers to using a table to identify the rate of change.

Thank you so much for your feedback after Open House. Please be on the lookout for feedback from me on your child’s progress throughout the course. This was a very successful first course and I hope to see many of you again during Summer SAVY!

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns! I can be reached at polkd@rcschools.net.

Thank you so much!

Love –D. Polk

Final Week’s Photos