Skip to main content

Study Abroad

Thinking about studying abroad?

Your first stop should be to speak with the Vanderbilt Global Education Office located in the Student Life Center (room 115).

Getting Managerial Studies Credit from Study Abroad:

Instructions for obtaining credit may be found here:

For a Vanderbilt Study Abroad Program please begin your process with the Global Education Office and the Study Abroad Analysis Team.

For a non-Vanderbilt Study Abroad Program, if you are an A&S student please contact Tish Cox in 350 Buttrick Hall for instructions on beginning this process. If you are not an A&S student, please follow the instructions of your college.

If in your process of seeking Vanderbilt credit you need approval for your course to count towards Managerial Studies and/or toward our minor(s), our Associate Director (William Damon, will conduct the evaluation. (If you are an A&S student seeking non-Vanderbilt SA credit, Professor Damon will conduct the evaluation after you receive approval from Dean Yollette Jones and the appropriate committee.) You will need to email Professor Damon the following information to seek program approval in Managerial Studies:

  • Name of the study abroad course, SA course syllabus, and the SA program name
  • Type of credit you are seeking
  • Managerial Studies Minor(s) to which you want the credit applied
  • Classification (Senior, Junior, etc.) and your college (A&S, Peabody, etc.)
  • The courses you have already completed toward the minor(s)
  • If you are seeking a variance, you must indicate you are asking for a variance

He will respond via email and if the request is granted, our administrator (Michelle Olin in Calhoun 215-L) can sign any required paperwork after seeing his approval email. Please note each evaluation is done on a case-by-case basis. Not all variances/requests are granted.

***Enrolling in Courses When Your Prerequisite is a Study Abroad Course***

Keep in mind, if you are taking a prerequisite course abroad, the prerequisite credit will not show up on your degree audit until you have successfully completed the course and your transfer paperwork has been completed and processed. This usually happens after the close of your semester abroad.

Thus when trying to enroll in a course on YES that requires the SA prerequisite (that is not yet posted on your degree audit), you will get an error message that will not let you enroll in the course requiring the prerequisite. Therefore, you must proactively contact the professor of the course that requires the prerequisite before enrollment begins, in order to discuss your enrollment options in that course.