Amy-Jill Levine on “The Bible for Normal People Podcast”
Posted by grimess on Tuesday, February 16, 2021 in Research.
In this episode of The Bible for Normal People Podcast, Pete and Jared talk with Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Brettler about some of the themes of their new book, The Bible With and Without Jesus as they explore the following questions:
- How does the Bible function differently for Jews and Christians?
- What is fundamental in the Jewish reading of the Bible?
- How do we know how people interpreted the Bible in ancient times?
- How does scripture communicate to us?
- What are some of the problems language causes in interpreting the Bible?
- How does punctuation affect interpretation of biblical Hebrew?
- Why is recognizing how we want scripture to function for us important to be aware of?
- Would the Bible have survived all this time if its meaning was crystal clear?
- What is a revelatory interpretation?
- How does a writing’s meaning change when interpreted prophetically?
- Does Jesus or John the Baptist appear in the Dead Sea Scrolls?
- What is a pesher and how does it work?
Listen to the podcast episode (or read the transcript) here.