To qualify for dependent status, a spouse or unmarried, minor (under age 21) child must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer and the immigration officer at the port of entry that:
- He or she is the spouse (marriage license) or child (birth certificate) of the F-1 or J-1 visa holder
- He or she has sufficient funds to cover his/her expenses, or that other arrangements have been made to provide for expenses once in the U.S.
- He or she intends to leave the U.S. upon the termination of the status of the F-1 or J-1 visa holder
If you have dependent(s) that would like to enter the U.S. on an F-2 or J-2 visa, you must complete and submit the following materials to ISSS:
- Dependent Application
- Marriage Certificate (if dependent is spouse)
- Passport ID page(s) for each dependent
- Proof of Financial Support
If you would like your visiting family members to enter on a B visa as a tourist ISSS can provide your family members with a letter for their visa appointment. Complete the Invitation Letter Request to request a letter family members entering on a B visa.
Your dependent(s) will be required to maintain health insurance. Please click here for information on dependent health insurance.