Occasional Lectures and Consultations
According to regulation 22 C.F.R. § 62.20(g), exchange visitors in the “professor”, “research scholar” and “short-term scholar” categories may participate in occasional (single event rather than an ongoing activity) lectures and short-term consultations, if authorized to do so by their sponsor – Vanderbilt Department and ISSS. Authorization must be provided prior to the activity.
The occasional lectures or short-term consultations must:
- Be directly related to the objectives of the exchange visitor’s program
- Be incidental to the exchange visitor’s primary activities
- Not delay the completion date of the visitor’s program
- Be documented in SEVIS (government database)
The following letters must be submitted to ISSS before engaging in the activity. E-mail submission of scanned official letters is preferred.
- A letter from the institution, agency, or employer where the services will be performed. This letter should be on official letterhead and include the start and end date of the service, number of hours, field or subject, and description of activity.
- An letter of recommendation from the exchange visitor’s Vanderbilt department on letterhead explaining how the proposed activity would enhance the exchange visitor’s program, confirming that the proposed activity is incidental and that the exchange visitor’s participation will not delay the completion of their program.
If approved, ISSS will provide the exchange visitor with written authorization to participate in the activity, and will also document the new activity in SEVIS (government database).