Mandatory Immigration Check-In
Mandatory New Student Immigration Check-In
Upon arrival to Vanderbilt, all new international students must complete a mandatory Immigration Check-in. This process collects copies of your F-1 or J-1 status documents and the information ISSS needs to report your arrival in SEVIS. The steps below outline the Immigration Check-in process. (NOTE: You will need your VUnet ID and password to successfully complete the Immigration Check-in.)
Step 1: Register for orientation and select an immigration check-in time (this is included in orientation registration). Note: the registration link will be live soon. Please check back for updates! If you haven’t already done so, please be sure to activate your VUnet ID before getting started with the document upload process and before attending a check-in session.
Step 2: Begin uploading required immigration documents by starting the New Student/Scholar Document Upload form. You can start to upload your documents before entering the US. Please plan to start your New Student Document Upload form before your selected Immigration Check-in time. You will need the information below along with an electronic copy (pdf, jpeg, png, etc.) of the documents listed below to complete this step. (If you are not able to upload your documents in advance, bring the original documents with you to the check-in session.).
- Your Vanderbilt I-20 (for F-visa holders) or DS-2019 (for J-visa holders) used to enter the US
- Valid Passport (identity and validity page)
- F-1 or J-1 Visa Stamp (copy of entry stamp page for Canadian citizens)
- A printed or electronic copy of your most recent I-94 record. (NOTE: This record will not be created until you have entered the US. Within 24 hours of your entry, you can retrieve your electronic I-94 online from the Customs and Border Patrol website. You will need your passport information to retrieve your electronic I-94.
- Your local address in Nashville and a US phone number. You will update this information through the YES portal. If you will have a temporary address when you arrive to Nashville, this is the address you should report during check-in.
- Name and contact information (phone number and email) of a designated emergency contact
- Documents for any dependents that will enter the US with you (passport, visa stamp, I-20/DS-2019 and I-94 record)
- Dependents can be legally recognized spouses or children (unmarried and under the age of 21) who will be joining you.
Step 3: Attend your selected immigration check-in session to complete your document upload and address reporting. Be sure that you have ready access to your local address in the US and your emergency contact information. Remember that you will need to wait until you have entered the US to upload the I-94. If you are arriving AFTER all of the scheduled immigration orientation dates, you must visit the office to do your Immigration Check-In with ISSS. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Once you have completed your check-in and ISSS has received your documents and address information, we will report your arrival in SEVIS. Please note that we cannot complete this process if you do not have a valid local address in your ISSS profile. Please pay attention to the address format when entering your local address in YES.
Step 4: Return to ISSS to pick up your updated I-20 (F-1 students). (The SEVIS environment does not produce an updated DS-2019 for J-1 students.) This is your new document as well as your confirmation that your arrival has been reported in SEVIS. At this point in the check-in process your SEVIS record status changes from “Initial” to “Active.”
Immigration Check-In Hours for F-1/J-1 Students Only
Immigration Check-In is required. Please refer to the chart below to see when you should check-in.
If you will be attending Orientation, you will be assigned a check-in session. If you are arriving early and would like to check-in early, register for a session here. If you will be arriving late, you are required to sign-up for a session here.
You will receive an email confirming the date, time, and location of the check-in session you’ve been assigned.