The Data Science Institute (DSI) at Vanderbilt University invites applications for its first cohort of DSI postdoctoral fellows. Fellows will be expected to carry out an independent research program in collaboration with one or more faculty mentors who are affiliated with the DSI. Fellows will come from a diverse range of backgrounds and domains, but their work will generally fall into one of three categories: (1) foundational data science – i.e., the development of data science methods, (2) the application of data science to one or more fields in the physical, life and social sciences, engineering, or humanities (3) the study of the impact of data on society and its institutions. Fellows will be expected to interact with each other and with students, faculty and researchers affiliated with the DSI, and to contribute to the vibrant culture of the DSI.
Fellowships will begin in the summer of 2019 and will be renewable for up to three years. Fellows will receive annual salary support of $65,000, a competitive benefits package, and an annual research budget of $10,000 that can be used for travel, equipment, software, or other research expenses.
Candidates should have a PhD or be on track to earn a PhD before they begin their tenure as DSI fellows. Successful candidates will have a strong record in data science related research or a compelling proposal to carry out such research at Vanderbilt. Candidates who propose to engage in interdisciplinary work are especially encouraged to apply.
Candidates must identify at least one primary faculty mentor from the list of affiliated DSI faculty and have that mentor submit a letter of support. Preference will be given to candidates who propose to work with two or more faculty from different disciplines. To apply, please submit the following materials to:
- A brief cover letter that states the overall goals and motivation for applying, as well as the choice of DSI mentors (1 page)
- A curriculum vitae (including a list of publications)
- A single document containing a brief statement of past research accomplishments (1 page) and a proposal of research to be conducted at the DSI (2 pages)
- Three letters of reference submitted directly by the recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of support from the primary DSI mentor submitted directly by the mentor to email@example.com
(Please include the applicant’s full name in the subject of all emails.)