Catalyst Creativity Grants
The Curb Center at Vanderbilt supports the Catalyst Creativity Grant program, which offers Vanderbilt faculty and staff with an opportunity to implement original ideas that use creativity as a force for innovation and community engagement while challenging conventional thinking and fostering unique partnerships between all participants. We encourage proposals for projects that:
- apply creative problem-solving to issues impacting the Vanderbilt community and beyond;
- foster arts and scholarship-based community engagement programs, projects and events;
- facilitate connections across disciplinary, social, and institutional boundaries; and
- build the capacity of students, faculty, and staff to formulate and implement innovative solutions to intractable problems
Catalyst Creativity projects receive awards up to $2,000 are given with the possibility for more funding if the project encourages interdisciplinary connections. In addition to funding, award recipients have access to workspaces, networking groups, mentorships, and material resources to support a successful project outcome.
WHAT TYPES OF PROJECTS DO WE FUND?
- The integration of art and science in the classroom and laboratory
- Using movement and wellness to reflect on community and individual well-being
- Supporting original art, music, theater and dance pieces from faculty, students, and staff
- Incorporating scholarly and digital resources to examine the impact of gentrification on our community and creative economies
HOW TO APPLY
Interested catalysts should submit proposals of 500 words maximum or an equivalent 3-minute video or slideshow. Proposals should address the following:
- How does the project engage participants in a creative experience?
- What are the challenges and constraints involved?
- How is the project interdisciplinary and collaborative?
- How will you/participants document and reflect on your experiences?
- What other resources might you need to accomplish your goals?
- Detailed Budget
- Deliverables timeline and completion date
Proposals can be emailed as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Catalyst Creativity Grant Application” in the subject line.
Grant proposals will be reviewed each month and awarded on a project-by-project basis, with Curb typically funding 4-6 Catalyst proposals per year.
Image from 2017-2018 Catalyst awardee
Ashley Mintz’s project. Read more