The Graduate School and Center for Teaching invite Vanderbilt graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to attend a day-long event to help participants prepare for the academic job market. A series of mini-workshops focusing on important job market documents will be followed by time to draft these materials and/or to make edits to existing drafts. Participants will also be able to engage in one-on-one consultations to get immediate feedback on these documents. In addition, a panel of new Vanderbilt faculty fresh off the job market will occur during lunch to talk about their experiences on the job market and give helpful advice.
The Center for Teaching will provide mini-workshops covering how to write your teaching philosophy statement, diversity statement and teaching effectiveness document. The Graduate School will provide mini-workshops covering how to format your C.V. and write your cover letter and research statement. Continental breakfast, lunch, and snacks will be provided throughout the day. Please see below for event details and to register for some or all of the day.
Date: Thursday, August 15, 2019
Time: 8:30-4:30 pm
Location: Heard Library Community Room
Schedule of Events:
- 8:30-9:00 am – Welcome; Light Continental Breakfast provided
- 9:00-10:00 am – 3 Mini-workshops: Teaching Philosophy Statement; Diversity Statement; Teaching Effectiveness
- 10:00-12:00 pm – Work time and Consultations on Documents
- 12:00-1:30 pm – Panel of New Faculty to Share Their Experience on the Job Market; Lunch provided
- 1:30-1:45 pm – Break
- 1:45-2:30 pm – 2 Mini-workshops: C.V./Cover Letter; Research Statement
- 2:30-4:30 pm – Work time and Consultations on Documents; Snacks provided
Open to Graduate Students and Postdocs
Space is limited! Please REGISTER HERE for some or all of the event.