Questions for Interviewing Faculty about Their Teaching
When meeting with faculty to discuss their views on teaching, you can use these questions to frame your discussions and/or develop your own questions.
- How do you approach your subject as you prepare to teach?
- Do you try to identify more with your discipline/material or your students?
- How do you to try to motivate students during the class period/over the semester?
- How do you prepare before each lecture/discussion/help session?
- What different methods or approaches do you employ to present material from different angles or points of reference?
- How do you encourage critical thinking in your students?
- What ways of manipulating physical space in the classroom do you find effective?
- What have been your best (and/or worst) teaching experiences? Why?
- Were there teachers who impacted you (for better or worse) and how have you incorporated what you learned from them into your own teaching?
- What kinds of technologies do you find effective in teaching?
- How might new technologies change teaching over the next 5 years?